Not Goal Setting – Goal Getting!
If all your goals have been forgot and never brought to mind, it’s time to spring into action and take advantage of the summer off-season to set goals for the next 12 months and make plans to goal get them!
After the hectic holiday retail season, sometimes the only thing you want to do for the New Year is open up a bottle of champagne and soak your tired feet in the ice bucket that was holding it. And that means that setting goals for your business may drop to the floor faster than the Times Square Ball.
We’ve got some not-so-secret news, though.
January 1 is just a date on the calendar, and for retailers entering a traditionally slow season, summer is the perfect time to take stock of where your business is and make plans to take it to where you want it to be.
So whether you are reading this on June 1 or January 1 (or any other day of the year), today is a REALLY big day, because it’s your time to start working ON your store instead of just IN it.
But don’t let your goals stop on your social feeds! With so many responsibilities, you have to set time, energy and financial limits on everything that requires your attention so you don’t get bogged down in the details of day-to-day work. Perhaps you’ve got it going on operationally but have been flying by the seat of your pants when it comes to some of the non-essentials that are actually quite essential to your store’s growth (not to mention your sanity!). Or maybe you are overwhelmed, understaffed or just don’t know what to do to accomplish the big dreams you have for your small business.
If you haven’t already, it’s time to go with the flow… our WORK//FLOW™ goal getting process, that is. You read that right. We don’t just believe in goal setting. We believe in GOAL GETTING! That’s why we developed a process for you, our biz besties. We really, really, REALLY encourage every WORK//SHOP member to walk through it at least once a year, and there’s no better time than the retail off-season to work it.
Before you balk and dismiss this as just one more thing to add to your to-do list, take a look at this finding from a Dominican University study: Peeps with written goals achieve approximately 50% more of their goals than those without written goals.
“Setting goals is the first step in turning the invisible into the visible.” Tony Robbins
If you’re still not convinced, take it from us. We use this process in our business, and it keeps us working toward the things we’ve identified as important without getting distracted by the hundreds of other things that pop up in our inbox, on our phones or in conversations on a daily basis. (You know what we’re talking about, right?) And without fail, we’ve burst through our biggest goals every time that we’ve set them – and in less time than we anticipated! Why? Focus!
- Because it will force you to clarify what you want.
- Because it will motivate you to take action.
- Because it will provide a filter for other opportunities.
- Because it will help you overcome resistance.
- Because it will enable you to see — and celebrate — your progress.
So how do you get to the celebration? Get goaling! Here’s how:
- Print your WORK//FLOW™ goal getting WORK//SHEETS™, available in the members-only area of www.retailerworkshop.com. You’ll use them to go through the WORK//FLOW process, uncover your priorities and goals, and make plans to burst through them!
- Watch or attend a WORK//UP™ webinar to walk through the WORK//SHEETS and walk through the WORK//FLOW process with us. Dates and deets are in the members-only area.
- Set aside time to work through the sheets. Seriously, block it off on your calendar or write it down in the pages of your planner. You’re gonna want uninterrupted time to focus.
- Goal for it! No matter where you want to be a year from today, there’s only one way to get there. Set goals, make a plan to reach them and work it.
- Give yourself a monthly WORK//UP. Each month, check in on your progress, review your goals and tweak them if needed using the monthly WORK//UP sheets available in the goal getting section of the members-only area.
If you really want to goal for it, find an accountability partner to report to on a weekly basis. That Dominican University study also found that goal getters who provide weekly progress reports to a friend accomplish significantly more than others. Post your progress in the members-only WORK//SHOP Facebook group and give it a goal!
This article originally appeared in the May issue of WORK//BOOK™, our monthly e-magazine for WORK//SHOP™ members. WORK//SHOPAHOLICS™ can read the entire edition in the members’ area of www.retailerworkshop.com.
Not a member yet? We’d love to work hard with you so your customers shop harder. Join the squad>>